any one up for a bit of a race?

Wacky Races in 1/32, or 1/64 if you must

any one up for a bit of a race?

Postby leopard » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:41 am

Since Colin now carries Scalextric, the question has to be asked, is anyone up for a race?

I've got both an analogue (2 car) and digital (up to six cars) set I can bring in, with a reasonable amount of track and a couple of cars.

Pondering some sort of Janco Cup event if anyone is interested in giving it a go, can likely get a small track on one of the 6'x4' tables, something a bit bigger may need both of them combining.

even without a cup event happy to bring the stuff in to run a demonstration session if anyone is interested. plenty of scope for wacky races type formats, take a car and somewhat customise it.
leopard

Re: any one up for a bit of a race?

Postby leopard » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:03 pm

With the plan to kick this off over the next few weeks I've been having a think on a circuit, need to check just what track I actually have as I may be short a Radius One 180 degree bend & barriers (and on the tight turns the barriers are pretty much essential for tail sliding or even just a basic not crashing, but if I've got whats needed a nice long straight with reasonably wide curves at the ends leading to a back straight with a double hairpin "S" curve looping around should fit the 4'x12' space Colin is planning...

Gives in analogue mode a decent track, that can be adapted to digital pretty well that should provide a good length high speed straight with a pair of slower more technical curves linked by shorter straights at the back and a long sweeping corner before coming back around again. Or the other way around of course. in digital mode there is even space for the cross over tracks and pit lane - will be analogue to start with though.

I've got several touring car type cars and a pair of McLaren P1, if anyone else fancies bringing some down we can set up accordingly, enough interest and I'm sure a league is possible
leopard

Re: any one up for a bit of a race?

Postby leopard » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:08 pm

Have checked the manual and the digital powerbase control unit I have supports an analogue mode for cars without digital conversion chips installed, you lose the lane change features and ability to have more than two cars running at once, but the base unit will still record number of laps and lap times and supports all its designed race modes (fixed number of laps, endurance racing over fixed time, hot lapping and an interesting pursuit challenge mode).

Will have the conventional powerbase as well but plan is to set up the digital one for analogue cars unless anyone else also has the digital ones in which case the circuit I've got planned can pretty easily have the digital lane changers added back in.

Should be good for a range of short head to head races and fastest lap challenges.
leopard

Return to Scalextric