Getting my head around this...

Games Workshops 28mm Fantasy Battle systems, Orcs, Elves and weird blobs of fungus with teeth
Forum rules
Threads that go more than 180 days without a post will be deleted

Getting my head around this...

Postby leopard » Wed May 08, 2019 1:47 pm

ok, Rodent themed book has arrived, had a look at the core rules, wondering, am I correct on the following

1. building an army is a bit like 40k, pick a keyword, everything must share that
2. depending what that keyword is you may unlock some bonuses, e.g. I can pick "chaos" and get a legal force, but no bonuses, pick "Skaventide" and I get the bonuses in the book, pick on the clans and I can also get the clan bonuses
3. for pointed games the are min/max of some unit types - e.g. min units of "Battle line", max of leaders, artillery etc - but then an unlimited number of units with no assigned role
4. can also pick the formations (with associated point cost), meet the requirements in terms of units allocated and get that bonus as well
5. you don't pay for weapon options, just the models, in the stated block sizes (so clanrats are a block of 20 or a block of 40), stuff like leaders, standards etc are not paid for but part of the unit if a suitable model is present?
6. command points are similar to 40k in how you use them, but smaller range of abilities and generated a bit differently
7. magic is similar to 40k but at the start of the turn.

can't do it tonight (have a Sharpe Practice game lined up, plus not unpacked the rodents as yet) but may be starting to get a bit of a grip on this

seems with rats I can pick a clan which provides a few benefits in terms of swapping some units to battle line from "nothing" and get the clan bonus, but still able to take stuff from other clans, just under the "nothing" slots unless something else is specifically noted?
leopard

Re: Getting my head around this...

Postby virusoverload » Wed May 08, 2019 8:35 pm

everything you said is correct apart from im not sure about your last sentence. would have to look at the book as each battletome has different list building shenanigans
virusoverload

Postby leopard » Wed May 08, 2019 10:46 pm

virusoverload wrote:everything you said is correct apart from im not sure about your last sentence. would have to look at the book as each battletome has different list building shenanigans

sorted, at least the basics, will have a look and see what I've got thats usable single based, or multi based in units with enough singles the multis will be dead before it matters
leopard

Postby Baldie » Thu May 09, 2019 7:06 am

If and its a big IF i get into it square bases will be used.
Baldie

Postby leopard » Thu May 09, 2019 8:18 am

Baldie wrote:If and its a big IF i get into it square bases will be used.

discovered a load of unused square 20mm bases here, given thats what the bulk are on anyway any re-basing is likely going to be Multi --> 20mm square to fit in with the rest of them.

may have a look at sitting them on top of 25mm MDF discs but the bulk is likely to end up on square or rectangular bases.

just a pity several of the armies I have were squatted in the process of moving to Age of Copyright (adios still born High Elves for one, not to mention Bretonnia, sacrificed on the altar of "they are too easy to make using other manufacturers models"), new stuff does look amazing but already have way too much old stuff
leopard

Postby virusoverload » Tue May 14, 2019 8:03 am

Get em stuck on round bases
virusoverload

Postby leopard » Tue May 14, 2019 8:49 am

virusoverload wrote:Get em stuck on round bases

need to play the game a good few times first, rebasing them is a lot of work given many will need a razor saw to remove them from the slotted base, and just gluing the square one to a MDF disc sill look rubbish
leopard

Postby leopard » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:35 am

did end up having a game, turns out there are enough not on multi-bases for that not to be an issue, the rest need sorting. very much not sticking them on new bases though, way too many of them for that...

actually enjoyed playing it I have to say, nice for the rodents to be a bit more than "I have these guys because I have to but they won't do anything", the +1 to hit and +1 to wound in large units is brutal and the ability to make a reverse heroic intervention to make a cowardly retreat is amusing. Also nice to play a game where magic did something but didn't dominate and the actual rats on the ground were important. Characters giving buffs but still needing the army to do the heavy lifting.

enjoying it. could be interesting to see the rules expanded a bit, like adding the old "closed" formations back to do something as well as the more open formations we currently have.

but overall, its a good game, just a pity they have tried to remove actual orcs and the now apparently uncommon goblins from it
leopard

Return to Warhammer & Age of Sigmar