V4 Eastern Front lists questions...

Battlefronts 15mm World War II mass combat system, Tank, tanks and more boots than you can shake a muddy stick at
Forum rules
Threads that go more than 180 days without a post will be deleted

V4 Eastern Front lists questions...

Postby leopard » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:38 pm

have seen a couple of reviews and wondering on the following...

:soviet: has the distinction between Militia, Red Army and Guards been removed? they used to be very different in how they were played and in the case of Militia what options they had?
:soviet: is it correct that pioneers are no long a unit in their own right but a "command card" upgrade?
:soviet: are the regimental infantry guns on the far side of the Moon with Elvis and all the lost socks? or have these gone to divisional support level?
:soviet: have they really put the PTRD on a large base with three of them as opposed to a medium with two?
:soviet: can units still combat attach to Strelkovy? have seen flame throwers are now an upgrade but thinking pioneer and PTRD company attaching out, plus all the wonderful toys from the HQ attaching out?
:soviet: single platoon infantry companies (for when using the more "elite guards units" have gone with the minimum now 2?

are they still persisting with this command card rubbish and not putting the options in the actual books?
leopard

Re: V4 Eastern Front lists questions...

Postby Baldie » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:26 pm

Shall we just have a nice game of V3?
Baldie

Postby leopard » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:45 pm

Baldie wrote:Shall we just have a nice game of V3?

lol, this is what happens when you need evolution and get revolution, they really should have released "Team Patton" or something with these rules as it would have avoided a lot of issues.

had seriously hoped they would drop the 0-100 point system, how you can have a Soviet conscript militia rifle team and a Tiger II using the same points system with 0-100 and have it make sense is beyond me, seems there are "1 point" tanks... is a tank, even a rubbish one, really worth the same as a single HMG team? when its armed with one or more HMG and has better surviviability?

The frustration is there are some very nice concepts here, a proper movement stat is excellent and avoids a lot of rules around non-standard units for example, having "skill" ratings split avoids a lot of exceptions, just make the assault rating etc a stat and be done with it, all makes perfect sense.

they then went and decided to have lists trying to ape X-Wing where you buy a unit and have "upgrade cards" for the ADHD generation, who don't play the game.

*kicks cat*
leopard

Postby GuEsTy » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:59 pm

Can't help you with alot of these, don't own any Soviet books. Combat attachment is gone thank God replaced by a much more simple "add upto two HMG teams for X points each".
Command cards are still a thing. They are harmless. I only own a British set at the moment. I don't mind because the books are cheap compared to alot of companies and if you then want the command cards (if you were building something specific and it's only avaible via command cards lets say) they are only a few quid extra.
GuEsTy

Postby leopard » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:59 pm

Combat attachment brought a lot of flexibility in forces that operationally had it though, eg German HMG platoons attaching out or only some and having a small fire base. Plus HQ platoon stuff etc.

Wouldn’t mind the cards if the stuff was _also_ in the book and thus optional

Also if they hadn’t stripped out say pioneer companies etc and then bolted this bodge on after

Note the first run of the v4 rulebook and army books made no mention of the things and their release date made it clear they are an afterthought

Ahh well, unlikely to ever play it again so will give up on it

Rest in peace
leopard

Postby GuEsTy » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:18 pm

I play v4 without command cards all the time and have great fun to each their own I guess happy gaming to all
GuEsTy

Postby leopard » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:55 pm

GuEsTy wrote:I play v4 without command cards all the time and have great fun to each their own I guess happy gaming to all

All that really matters innit? you enjoy it, and that is worth something.
leopard

Postby Baldie » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:15 am

I am all for everyone enjoying their own games give it another 30 odd years there will be non of use V4 die hards around anyway.

Will I hold onto my V4 books or sell em on ebay, not sure, do I want some more V3 games damn right and the eastern front it is for me.
Baldie

Postby GuEsTy » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:43 am

I have same idea but with my v3 books... ain't ever gunna touch em again so may as well get shut and get something back. Just sold my copy of Hells Highway
GuEsTy

Postby Baldie » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:52 am

Thought we had a battle report coming?
Baldie

Next

Return to Flames of War