Weathering Practice

Incomplete masterpieces, what are you currently working on?

Weathering Practice

Postby leopard » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:10 pm

Attempt at making my weathering something more than a bit of a dusty drybrush.

Firstly I needed a suitable victim... Ahh here we go

Opel Blitz, cheapy Zvezda model, not currently used as its the only one of them I have. Very basic colour scheme, sprayed grey, drybrushed shadow grey then a stonewall grey lighter brush over. Weathering is a drybrush of clay emulsion, then a magnolia emulsion, very simple, quick to paint but looks a bit... naff.

Picture taken on an evening, mix of natural and artificial light

Firstly we sort out the paint

Black primer, layered German Grey, then an edge highlight in Dark BlueGrey, tyres in black, varnished, decals and then varnished again.

This is pure artificial lighting hence the somewhat dark look, bit of gentle highlighting on the canvas roof to create a bit of detail thats not on the model.

First bit of weathering, VMA "Light Brown" airbrushed on, and glossed again, natural lighting actually shows some of the greys a bit better and the blue in the glass.

Nest will be some oil washes for water streaks, this will have to wait until a trip to hobbywhatsit to get the paints, this will lighten the model somewhat as well..

ok, moving on, have some weathering powders, the Blitz will get them eventually but impatience caught me, and then I caught a pair of StuG from Open fire that have been lurking in the kitchen for a couple of months. These were airbrush camo test models.

The light brown airbrush coat again, followed by the weathering powders, the earthy colour and a bit of water, then a bit of the yellow ochre mixed in and a second layer added. Nice thick muddy effect, it is like painting with mud as a kid.

Once this has set properly will seal with varnish and go with other colours over the top.

Good fun though, no idea what I'm actually doing with the powders but fun to play with.

We will ignore the American lurking in the bottom corner for now.. mwhahhhahahaa
leopard

Re: Weathering Practice

Postby leopard » Fri May 01, 2015 6:47 pm

Bit more on the Stug, and a better picture.

Now completed, including the varnish.

Note to self, dusting with weathering powder looks really good, second note to self, when glossing said powder with an airbrush to seal it.. turn the pressure down, discovered an airbrush is a very good way to remove dusted on powder..

Not bad for a first effort
leopard

Postby Jimmy » Fri May 01, 2015 7:56 pm

That using the stuff Colin has in?

Been tempted to try some myself
Jimmy

Postby leopard » Fri May 01, 2015 8:06 pm

Jimmy wrote:That using the stuff Colin has in?

Been tempted to try some myself

Yes, picked up a pack last weekend. the Medium stuff is good for painting on then sprinkling the stuff over, seems to be paint medium with a retarding agent in it so stays liquid for a while.

Its like making mud pies, will be getting a few more, the rust one especially, not for WW2 but looks good for other stuff.

Just wish the stuff had instructions with it
leopard

Postby leopard » Sun May 17, 2015 1:16 pm

Bin playing.

Innocent Opel Blitz

Buff coloured oil paint, and lots of white spirit providing the water streaks, maybe a bit overdone but has lightened the dark base greys up wonderfully.

mud is the pigments, a brown and a yellow mixed, then dusted with the yellow, need a bit more practice.

Also a US objective, here shown with the unweathered example of an easy eight

Again the water is perhaps a bit much, but for a vehicle thats not moved for a few days perhaps passable, will be a lot less of an effect on the mobile units
leopard

Return to Work in Progress