Leopards WiP

Incomplete masterpieces, what are you currently working on?

Re: Leopards WiP

Postby Jimmy » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:23 pm

Nice, I did my xwings, but really need to do my others as well
Jimmy

Postby Dropshort » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:07 am

I need to finish my Tie Bombers and a few other bits and pieces. But you are right, just a little bit of work on them and they look so much better.
Dropshort

Postby leopard » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:02 pm

P-51X

Base colours, not yet weathered, plan is gloss then a brown/black oil wash (oils don't pool like acrylics, and can be wiped off the raised areas after).

Markings are pretty basic, the undersides are plain, only detail planned is a metallic glint on what was a radiator exhaust and is now the main engines.

Love that Artic Blue metallic.
leopard

Postby Baldie » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:52 pm

Must try these oil washes you speak of.
Baldie

Postby leopard » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:45 pm

Baldie wrote:Must try these oil washes you speak of.

Well worth a go, cheap as well, oil paint in a tube in black and burnt umber cost a few quid a tube, doubt the tubes I've got will run out any time soon. mix with white spirit to be like murky water - goes on a lot better than acrylic washes, but take a lot longer to dry - and when dry can be wiped off with more white spirt - the weathering on the few FoW US tanks I've done is done with it - as are the 28mm sherman and panzer IVH I have.

Have now put the gloss varnish on these, I have no idea why but the varnish on occasion refuses to go on properly, like putting water colours over wax. :wall: Will see how it dries, needs this coat to do the washes, worst case will brush a second coat of varnish on.

Could be heat or humidity I guess, no idea, irritating though
leopard

Postby leopard » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:11 pm

Oil wash applied, first stage

This is left to dry, then attacked with a cotton bud, unlike an acrylic wash because this is over gloss it can be carefully rubbed off the model leaving it where its desired.

Ends up like this

Now needs a day or two to cure, then more varnish to seal it, essentially now completed - just need the base adding and painting with the stand
leopard

Postby leopard » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:41 pm

Finally finished the assembly on my knight, only had the poor thing since the day the model was released...

ohh the shame

Base metallic done, the silvers are the same as my Ghar, the golds based on my high elves, though via the airbrush (gold/burnt umber base, gold, then gold & silver).

VMA gold is remarkably close to the "old gold" colour, not as yellow as the "glorious gold" and actually pretty nice.

Main armour panels will get a blast of Tamiya clear red, to go a wonderful metallic red colour, just need to let the golds cure enough so I can mask them before I do it.

sooo wish there was a crushable clear red, not found one, not even enamels or oil washes seem to be able to make it work.

worth the effort :)
leopard

Postby virusoverload » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:56 pm

I'm more interested in hearing about you cleaning your airbrush after using the tamiya clear through it. The stuff is like pva
virusoverload

Postby leopard » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:01 pm

virusoverload wrote:I'm more interested in hearing about you cleaning your airbrush after using the tamiya clear through it. The stuff is like pva

Diluted it about 9 parts paint 1 part thinner, small amount in the airbrush and it stays nicely liquid while spraying, cleaned with water firstly, blast some through, then some airbrush cleaner and no issues. The stuff is yuk with a brush but airbrushes fine
leopard

Postby Baldie » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:18 pm

A knight, you filthy beast.
Baldie

PreviousNext

Return to Work in Progress