28mm Desert Terrain

Incomplete masterpieces, what are you currently working on?

28mm Desert Terrain

Postby Baldie » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:09 pm

Hi All

Finally completed my 28mm terrain made from foam board.

Pretty pleased

Only issue is that as it has taken me ages to get my finger out I can't now find the desert cloth I bought.

Baldie

Re: 28mm Desert Terrain

Postby leopard » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:21 pm

Looks good to me, Only issue with 28mm scale really, you have small cliffs or you have hills models fall over on.

Mind you can just see 15mm scale stuff wandering around on the hills as well
leopard

Postby Baldie » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:48 pm

Yeh wanted to do something 28mm could actually hide behind as all my other hills are 15mm scale.
Going to do some for Eastern / Western front as well poss have a go at an island for DW

Now I have started M&T I need some more woods and cabins, oh and still to do the grad as well
Baldie

Postby Baldie » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:32 pm

The grad is almost finished, at least as finished as I can be bothered for now.

Going to knock up some desert buildings now, basic square foam board with plaster on em or may try some textured paint.
Halifax in November is desert and Mediterranean so said I would do a tables worth.

Going to need a bigger garage for it all next, I can't believe she won't let me have the front room.
Baldie

Postby leopard » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:04 am

Made a couple to use with my Skaven (desert style rodents), 5mm foam card to make a box with a recessed roof, didn't bother making the roof come off as for warhammer there is no point but its not hard to do, just need to add a floor.

doors and windows are simple cut outs, could even just paint them on really

Painted the outside with some ready mix filler diluted a fair bit with water to add a bit of texture, then a cream coloured emulsion and a white drybrush and emm thats it.

There is a wonderful website on making terrain. http://www.matakishi.com which is well worth a look, cheap, simple, fast terrain stuff, includes a fair bit on desert stuff, jungle as well.
leopard

Postby Baldie » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:07 pm

Another night of aimlessly chopping up bits of foam board.

Now have just the last two bits of the grad to finish off and have also got four desert dwellings ready to slap on some plaster.
Pretty happy with em really.
Baldie

Postby Baldie » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:16 pm

Tight month for the Baldie household this month which has had a great effect on getting through the backlog.
Four desert dwellings have been rendered and are drying, possibly able to put on some paint tomorrow, going to try a mosque and some walls next.

Try to get some picks uploaded.
Baldie

Holiday Home

Postby Baldie » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:22 pm

After the horrors of the grad which is now pretty much completed I thought I needed a nice change.

I have been doing a little desert terrain as well, supplying a tables worth for Halifax in Nov.

Have made em fairly generic as hot country houses so they can be used for Med/Middle East or Africa, I was going to paint em but the plaster finish actually looks ok on its own.

Here is the first of em with my Afrika Korps command team on the roof.

Spoiler alert the DAK are not my own work, too neat and clean for mine. Cheers ironbelly
Baldie

Postby leopard » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:16 pm

May be worth putting a thin brown wash over it, the brightness is ok but looks just too clean.

Otherwise spot on, nice size and you have to look close to see the windows and doors are on the outside.

Did the windows etc on some buildings of mine with four strips of balsa, matchsticks would also work, stuck on as a frame. Filler on the walls, not the window (put on with a brush after adding water to make it a thick paste).

Also not got any currently but many moons ago I used textured masonry paint as the base for this sort of thing over thick card, beige colour worked well as a sandy base, drybrush white and done. A lot less trouble than filler as well.

Nice size for a building though, tend not to base mine but it does make them last a lot longer :)
leopard

Postby ironbelly2 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:29 pm

Top stuff! Mucky it up! Tea bag it! :cow:
ironbelly2

Next

Return to Work in Progress