Don't know where to start lol

Incomplete masterpieces, what are you currently working on?

Don't know where to start lol

Postby GuEsTy » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:18 pm

So yeah, feeling overwhelmed with all these little toy soilders. Currently on the go I've got some decals to stick on some British tanks, I've a regiment of skeleton spears to paint, a troop of soul reaver cavalry to paint, a platoon of British desert rats infantry to build and paint, a platoon of 25 pounders from PSC to build and paint, lots more zulus and British to paint (although have a usable amount for small scale skirmish 24 brits and 48 zulus presently), and a dba roman army just arrived through the post..... help! Where do I find the time?????
GuEsTy

Re: Don't know where to start lol

Postby leopard » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:35 pm

batch paint..

first thing is to work out how much time you have, and what you can realistically do in that time, the limit yourself to that.

I find it useful to adopt a basic process, e.g. when I was doing my Bretonian archers (of which there are many), worked out I would work on four at a time each night, the first four got the base colours, and a wash, then a second four had the details added - so each night four were finished, and four half finished.

The were primed in larger batches though, IIRC 24 or so.
leopard

Postby GuEsTy » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:01 pm

Thanks for the advice and motivation leopard :)
GuEsTy

Postby Baldie » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:34 am

I know some of you odd balls only like to play with painted figs but for me I find nowt makes me want to get them done like playing a few games.
Even better if there is a little campaign.

You vets have heard me say it before but the Infantry Aces campaign we did was instrumental in my Soviets getting to the size they did and other than the fabled third company they are all painted.

Maybe some kind of little DBA campaign if I can get my head around the rest of the rules and the terrain set up.
Baldie

Postby leopard » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:25 am

An escalating campaign does work very well. Also its worth sticking with painted only, otherwise insanity is the end.

That said there is nothing wrong with models that are primed and have base colours on, with maybe one colour finished but the rest very plain, that then grow in detail over time.

Would love to do more escalation type stuff, as Lee notes the first time we ran Infantry Aces over several months we all had armies growing through it.

DBA doesn't need a large enough for to justify 'escalation', DBM & DBMM perhaps do (basically a very similar game, but with forces selected to point values and multiple divisions), but Hail Caesar or similar is probably better - there are a range of campaign systems you could use, then use a range of systems to fight the actual battles - The escalating system Dave C was talking about a while back sounded good.
leopard

Postby GuEsTy » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:05 pm

I've got 4 skirmishers and 3 cav + riders primed ready for painting, with most of the other figures prepped to be primed. Looking forward to having a bash at em.
GuEsTy

Postby GuEsTy » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:47 pm

So,

2 x skirmish bases
2 x blades bases
1 x cav base
2 x spear bases

Painted so far for DBA. Another week should just about see the rest done. Any tips on basing them? Currently just stuck down to mdf bases. They're romans if that matters
GuEsTy

Postby leopard » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:58 am

Mine are on cut steel bases, thinner than MDF and easy to transport on magnetic sheet
leopard

Postby GuEsTy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:49 am

Haven't managed to get much done this past couple week, been to warm to sit and paint. Did get another 2x spear bases done though. Also my auxillia turned up :lol:
GuEsTy

Postby leopard » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:02 am

GuEsTy wrote:Haven't managed to get much done this past couple week, been to warm to sit and paint. Did get another 2x spear bases done though. Also my auxillia turned up :lol:

I know the feeling on too warm, 30+ down here, about 28 inside, paint dries too quickly and the humidity wreaks it.

Was going to do some building, got as far as three models and gave up for another cold drink...

:)
leopard

Next

Return to Work in Progress