The Grad or any other generic ruined city.

Incomplete masterpieces, what are you currently working on?

The Grad or any other generic ruined city.

Postby Baldie » Mon May 26, 2014 1:46 pm

Hi All

Having our fourth Beer and Battles, basically a boozy gaming day in my garage, in Sep.
Usually we play a number of different games but this year we are doing a big BA Stalingrad game instead.
Finally started putting together the buildings for the Grad and going to make em pretty generic so can be used for other cities.
Perhaps some magnetized posters and advertisement boards so they can have Soviet, French, German or god forbid British posters on them for different theaters.

For those expecting quick updates I am afraid you will no doubt be in for a long wait.

Here is the first section as bought and then with added rubble, basically a big pot of glue with sand and off cuts all mixed up together then slapped on.
Not tried this before so not sure if they will turn out ok or not.

As bought

Slapped on

Not sure what to do with the front of the buildings to make them look less pristine, thinking just a bit of glue and throwing some sand at bits to add some texture and then do some bullet and shell damage.

Just done two houses and a couple of small barricade/infill sections going to try to get em all done in a couple of weeks so I can start painting.
Baldie

Re: The Grad or any other generic ruined city.

Postby Jimmy » Mon May 26, 2014 2:38 pm

They look great, liked the idea of mixing offcuts and glue to make a rubble paste, will be stealing that one I think
Jimmy

Postby Baldie » Mon May 26, 2014 3:07 pm

Gotta thank Mark as I nicked it from him.
Baldie

Postby ironbelly2 » Mon May 26, 2014 5:58 pm

Do I see table mats.....grand job fella few posters and slogans... :D
ironbelly2

Postby Baldie » Mon May 26, 2014 6:36 pm

Place mats for the win.
Using two for the base of the bigger ruins sections, a single one for the normal buildings and coasters for bits of random wreckage and barricades.
Baldie

Postby leopard » Mon May 26, 2014 6:49 pm

For the front have a look at the textured spray paints, failing that just a spray primer from halfords will put just enough texture a drybrush will pick it out. Bullet holes via a small drill works but may be an issue with walls that thin.

The rubble and filler mix looks fantastic
leopard

Postby madness » Mon May 26, 2014 7:46 pm

Cheap filler used generously will work as a leveler and makes it easier to model bomb holes etc
madness

Postby Baldie » Sat May 31, 2014 7:37 pm

Work so far.

Ruined building under construction.

Two images of another section of wall that forms a bigger building.

Couple of shots of the ones at undercoated stage so far, the little ones are infill and barricades.

Just hope I don't ruin, excuse the pun, em when I paint them.
Baldie

Postby leopard » Sat May 31, 2014 8:40 pm

Light drybrush of greys and browns should do it - or you could look at what I've done with rubble, get a spray in a suitably dirty dark green colour, then drybrush greys and browns over that, and drybrush black over anything burnt, pick out a few stones in an orangy brick red and basically thats it.
leopard

Postby Baldie » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:58 pm

Got first two houses and barricade sections done now and painted.
Not totally pleased with the painting on em but will do for now.
Get some pics up tomorrow.

Started on the sections of the factory and it is going to be a beast of a building, as it is the outer walls it can be put together to form something about 2' across or stretched indefinitely.
Going to knock up some inner walls or industrial type fillers.

Started putting together some rules for some basic linked battles so we can try three games.

Game 1 is basically capture 3 objectives, each one gives a random bonus in next game but each side can only capture 3 of them. You can still make sure the enemy doesn't get any though.
Game 2 rescue the pilot, basically top secret, you need to get the pilot back to your lines. One each perhaps, if you get yours back home as he holds vital info and stop the enemy. No you can't shoot the pilot. If you get yours you can chose to put two enemy units into reserve these units come on as a reserve but with minus two to roll, this is due to better information on your opponents forces.
Game 3 max attrition stomp smash and kill the enemy, 2 points for each unit killed but 4 for each unit killed in close combat. There are also six sewers you can go into and come out next turn, roll a D6 even numbers you choose which sewer to come out of but roll an odd and your opponent chooses where you will come out.
Baldie

Next

Return to Work in Progress