Cossacks

Incomplete masterpieces, what are you currently working on?

Cossacks

Postby Baldie » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:35 am

Ok so after saying I really need to finish off some forces to get projects done I spent a restless night re basing Napoleonic's.
Fully, pretty much, painted and based force so I decide to split them and re base to get more units.
Makes sense to me.

Anyhoo sitting on the shelf are my RCW/BA Cossack's glaring at me in their black base coat, never painted a 28mm horsey type so been putting em off.

Paint has now started to be applied however.
Baldie

Re: Cossacks

Postby Baldie » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:10 pm

Wash drying so stage one completed, now to ruin em with highlights and some patches on the four legged beasties.
Kohlkin Gohl here we come.
Baldie

Postby leopard » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:40 pm

Hate painting horses, have more Dragoons here among others. How you doing them?
leopard

Postby Baldie » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:24 pm

Black undercoat
Heavy dry/wet brush base colour
Wash
Lighter dry brush, hopefully
Add some patches and socks etc

Going for Grey, Brown and Sandy as base colours. Sure there are horsey names for em.

Look ok at mo from a distance but need to be highlighted and tidied.

They ain't gonna look like parade horses but Cossacks who have spent several weeks hunting down Fritzi they may do.

Also decided the points on the lances were too dangerous so clipped them, they are now simply blooming sharp rather than able to split an atom.
Baldie

Postby Baldie » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:25 pm

First horse done, not terrible at all.
Just another fifteen then the riders to finish.

Should be ready for X Mass
Baldie

Postby Baldie » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:41 pm

I promise I am actually painting them up but want to finish em before I post.
Got eight horses finished and another eight to do.

Happy with how they are turning out but don't think I will be doing a mass cavalry force any time soon.
Baldie

Postby Baldie » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:25 am

After just a year of dithering they are finally painted up.

These brave lads are destined to fight in the Russian Civil War, Back of Beyond, across the wasted battle field of the Eastern Front, the flat lands around the border at Khalkhin Gol and over clipped lawns and through tea shops in Very British Civil War.

Commissar Cain, the master of disguise in yet another reincarnation

Either two units of eight or two units of six with an officer unit and a commissar unit

I have done extensive research prior to painting and know for a fact that all Cossack's carried lances from 1600 onwards and that horses definitely come in shades of blue and yellow.

I am really happy with them, was thinking of putting more on the bases but they are done up to match my entire Soviet army which is based so they don't look too odd on any battle field.

As ever would love to do everyone up for fighting in the snow but given the limited number of tables I have ever played on that are snow themed I just never seen to get on with it.
Baldie

Return to Work in Progress