Resin

Found a good way of doing something? or looking for help solving a problem?

Resin

Postby Valkyrie » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:13 pm

Okay so not technically modelling I know but there's a few DIYers on here I am sure so worth a shot.

I have a resin bow thats covered in mold lines and I would like to get rid of them. My brother-in-law had given me some wet/dry sandpaper of varying grades and said to sand it out from coarsest to finest. I have started doing this and it has worked on the test bit but also made the colour paler. As I keep going with the different grades will this polish itself out and return to normal colour or am I going to have to do something to cover it up?
Valkyrie

Re: Resin

Postby Baldie » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:48 pm

No expert in the area but often sanding anything down is likely to make it look a different shade.
Even a one colour item can darken on the outside through exposure etc so you may need to paint etc in the end.
Baldie

Postby Valkyrie » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:52 pm

Thanks, I thought that might be the case, ah well :/

Think it might have to wait till the warmer weather for re painting, what would I use to do it? Spray paint?
Valkyrie

Postby leopard » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:56 am

May be worth trying wet &a dry paper and then polishing it before thinking of paint. Depending on the resin may also have a clear coating over it that's changing the colour slightly.

Think how you polish glass to get it to go clear again?
leopard

Return to Hints, Tips, Techniques and Help