modelling help

Found a good way of doing something? or looking for help solving a problem?

modelling help

Postby Valkyrie » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:44 pm

I've been playing around with the 112 Emergency Service doc from Infinity and the axe hand is puzzling me with how to attach it to the stump. It looks like the hand has a little peg thing sticking out of it as though it could go into a hole but there's nothing that matches on the stump. It looks like there's some marks on the stump but could they just come from the casting process?

If anyone can give any pointers about this I'd be really grateful, and I apologise for the lack of pictures at the moment, my phone isn't playing nice so I'll try to upload some from the laptop. Thanks
Valkyrie

Re: modelling help

Postby virusoverload » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:24 pm

if you can get a photo of both pieces I can tell you if its a casting issue or if your missing something. I know I had to dig out half of a socket on one of my nomad geckos. but ive also put some of the infinity stuff together and spent ages trying to figure out where/which direction it attaches to.
virusoverload

Postby virusoverload » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:28 pm

also just googled which model that is. its a really nice model.
virusoverload

Postby virusoverload » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:31 pm

looking at this image its a flat connection so no little nubs to connect it. which is strange for infinity models. so id say the little nub is a bit from the casting process. but a photo of your 2 parts would give me a better indication.
virusoverload

Postby Valkyrie » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:33 pm

Sorry for the wait and the poor quality of the pictures, and aye it does look like a nice model, all the Infinity ones I have seem pretty good looking.
Valkyrie

Postby virusoverload » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:38 pm

cant see a tab/hole on the 2nd piece. maybe it was a casting error. I'd cut my losses and make it flat and pin it to secure it.
virusoverload

Postby Valkyrie » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:42 pm

Pinning it? Good grief this just got more complex than it was initially sold to me. Ah who am I kidding, I love a challenge and who needs superglue-free fingertips anyway :lol:

Thanks for the help!
Valkyrie

Postby virusoverload » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:54 pm

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+pin+a+model

these might help. also the superglue from jancos (big red lid green label) is a lot better than cheap super glue. or loctite. something not runny is a must for glue free fingers. you should nip down to the shop sometime when me or one of the other painters/modelers are in and we can give you some tips/help if you need.
virusoverload

Postby Jimmy » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:02 pm

I've just started assembling a bunch more infinity models - forgot how much I hate assembling metal models - give me plastics anyday
Jimmy

Postby Valkyrie » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:03 pm

Thank you so much, I do try to get down as often as I can (which isn't often enough) so I'll look out for you next time I'm there. As for the glue free fingers- ask Colin or James, if there's anybody could manage to have an accident in a padded room while wrapped in bubble wrap it'd be me. :oops:
Valkyrie

Next

Return to Hints, Tips, Techniques and Help