Leopard's FoW Soviets

A place for your armies to call home

Re: Leopard's FoW Soviets

Postby leopard » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:30 pm

Discovered two things, the force I have can't run EW, wrong mix of models. However it's darn close with a few bits I want anyway for MW... May have a run with them at Rollcall...

Lacks the always attacks bit, however can get nine platoons at 1k55 and it will work in a similar style.
leopard

Postby Baldie » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:50 pm

leopard wrote:Discovered two things, the force I have can't run EW, wrong mix of models. However it's darn close with a few bits I want anyway for MW... May have a run with them at Rollcall...

Lacks the always attacks bit, however can get nine platoons at 1k55 and it will work in a similar style.

What you got that's wrong, thought you had everything.
Baldie

Postby leopard » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:14 pm

No where near for Soviets, wrong guns mostly, not too hard to sort though. Don't have the earlier armour but tend to run blokes in boots so not a huge issue.

Thinking some of the 1927 regimental guns and the 1937 45mm ATG.

Will get it sorted, still have a stack of troops to do anyway
leopard

Postby leopard » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:45 pm

Bit of an update, small one.

Scout platoon, chicken out of the camp but its not that easy to tell from normal distances so not that fussed. Very nice models, different from the line infantry.

SMG Company, single platoon in Mid War configuration to be part of a Strelkovy Company (nine teams). In practice I'll be smaller and used as a convict company and will gain a second (and maybe third) platoon as these guys are brutal in assault (rubbish skill, but 2+ motivation)

Changed my basing slightly, having had enough people ask me where the line between units actually is I've mirrored the unit markings on to the front of the bases, along with 'R' for Recce, 'K' for Kommissar etc. Also using the colours of the tiles to be specific to units as a further visual guide (not that all bases have tiles but there will be a few in each unit).
leopard

Postby Baldie » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:25 am

Bold choice for the bases, need more dead Germans to tone em down.
Baldie

Postby Irongut » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:11 am

Love the bases they look ace
Irongut

Postby leopard » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:40 pm

First outing as an Early War force today, managed a 4:3 win against Reece with a good few panzers...

Very close fought, down to luck at the end.

Not sure the Mid War 'ave 'em tactics work Early War, worth trying though. Thinking of dropping the SMG company, getting a different 8th platoon, something small, and perhaps a 9th then using whats left to get the second Strelk to be full sized, or dropping in a few HMG teams.

Thinking of uplifting the defence capabilities a bit, the list Mid War works through being "always attacks" and able to infiltrate, the EW list had neither.

Either that or throwing caution to the winds and bringing a KV-1e at eye watering cost and just hoping not to run into Axis heavy artillery.. or planes..

Depends what further toys arrive this week.
leopard

Postby Baldie » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:58 pm

Glad Reece took the hit whilst my lads were off brewing up.
Looked teryfing when it was set up.
Baldie

Postby leopard » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:39 pm

Baldie wrote:Glad Reece took the hit whilst my lads were off brewing up.
Looked teryfing when it was set up.

Needs to strike while that terror is hot though, keep the enemy focused on "OMG what do I do", when you think a bit more calm you start to see just how fast they drop, and realise that as conscripts they are not actually that dangerous..

Mid war they have done very well against people who get flustered, and very badly against those who don't - hence a few tweaks for this year.

That mission didn't allow them to do what they are designed to do, strike forwards in two columns, one of which is designed to make contact, the other not - the SMG guys are a backup to the strike column - and all that artillery, all of it, goes against whatever is in front of the column to make a hole...
leopard

Postby Baldie » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:52 pm

I agree

Not the first time I have said it but one of reasons I like FOW is the missions really do make the game.
Baldie

PreviousNext

Return to Army Blogs and Paint Galleries