Ardennes Offensive

A place for your armies to call home

Re: Ardennes Offensive

Postby leopard » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:56 pm

Slight update, the dastardly SS...

Few details still to finish but they are getting there

Bloke with bit of paper and a radio operator

Forgotten who goes with whom, so just doing the lot of them and will sort it all out later.

Flame thrower and a rifleman

Couple of officers

Another officer & NCO

Doctor and another NCO

Group photo.

Autumn pattern oak leaf camouflage, royal pig to paint, but looks decent once done.
leopard

Postby Baldie » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:44 pm

Looks better than decent mate, they look blooming great.
Baldie

Postby leopard » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:02 pm

Baldie wrote:Looks better than decent mate, they look blooming great.

:o

There are so many of them though its scary. Building these guys for Chain of Command, so a minimum of three full squads, a panzershreak team and command team.

Assembled and based them a while back, so no idea who goes with what though, still figure as long as there are enough of them I can run with it.

Love the warlord metals, not so keen on the multi pose plastics which seem to be 'a million poses, none convincing', the metals with just a separate head work pretty well, only really falls over for models with only one basic pose, like the leather coat officer model - but will avoid using them both next to each other.

Bought a book on painting SS figures and trying some of the glazing techniques and a custom flesh tone for these guys, seems to be working so far, not a method I've used before but apart from the actual camo itself is pretty simple.

E.g. flesh is basically:
1. Black base
2. drybrush white
3. drybrush white, again
4, drybrush mid flesh tone
5, brown wash
6, glaze mid flesh tone (could drybrush as well there)

umm thats about it but puts a lot more depth in than just base & wash.

Basic uniform is pretty much the same (different colours), all pretty much a pre-shading method. would work well with a lot of coloured washes (did fine for the Americans that way)
leopard

Postby leopard » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:53 pm

Last post November 2015...

Hmm..

Dug these guys up, well the assembled ones anyway, not entirely sure where the rest are or indeed how many more there are, at least a PaK40 and I suspect two more squads.

It appears I have however:
:german: 9 man squad, 2x SMG NCO, 1x2 man LMG Team, 5x riflemen
:german: 2x assault rifle guys
:german: 6 man command section (medic, rifleman, officer, NCO & radio team)
:german: flame thrower team
:german: panzershrek team
:german: MMG team
:german: 81mm mortar team
:german: extra command figures (suspect I got a second command blister over the first box)
:german: Goliath operator, sans Goliath that is "somewhere"
:german: forward observer team
:german: bod with panzerknacker

Given I have forgotten how the camo gets painted I've limited myself to painting the metal on the weapons and the base black for the boots, need to find the guide book for the rest. They have however already had the flesh painted and the base colours for the uniform, so hopefully approaching usable reasonably soon - though need to find the box with the others to get a second squad sorted.

I did write down how to paint this scheme... all I need to do now is find the book...

Still 2015 to 2018 and a possibility of them seeing the table by the end of the year is pretty good going really.

Is it meant to take longer to ready an army to refight a war than the actual war took?
leopard

Postby leopard » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:06 pm

Starting to wish I'd not lost the book with the paint guides in it really..

trying to work out what the mix for the lighter orange is, Orange Brown is too, well orange, and Orange Ochre is too light, its a mix but not sure of the ratio, I'm sure there is a third colour as well. Ho hum will try 50-50 tomorrow and see how it looks.

Plus side, I've found the rest of the models.. slightly more than expected...

two more blisters of flame throwers, panzershreks and snipers (so will have three of each)
Pak40, as expected
MMG team - though these are getting integrated into the squads
three more squad blisters, bought as they are nine to a pack, I want ten for CoC so got three extra blisters to get the right mix of bodies

should be somewhat impressive once done, need to sort the paint mixes out then can crack on
leopard

Postby Baldie » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:54 pm

Not even started my Germans yet.
Got plenty of Russians though, admittedly only one is totally finished the rest need highlights and bases finishing.

Germans may be destined for the Philburn.
Baldie

Previous

Return to Army Blogs and Paint Galleries