Hive Fleet Turnip

A place for your armies to call home

Re: Hive Fleet Turnip

Postby Baldie » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:01 pm

Looking forward to seeing em.
Papa Nurgle will be even more pleased as the rot spreads through your Turnip.
Baldie

Postby leopard » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:38 pm

Result: failure, need to restart that, the clay base wreaked it and ended up useless. Need some polymer clay I think and to try again.

Live and learn

Few bits from the bay arrived, metal brood lord apparently assembled using chewing gum, still will strip down. Then a bunch of warriors and other gribble (bought for the cheap warriors)
leopard

Postby leopard » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:18 pm

Discovered despite what I had read about you can use plasticene with RTV silicone to make moulds, it just causes the rubber to take a bit longer to cure (like 24 hours not 12), which I can live with. This should mean I can actually turn moulds round decently given the time isn't a problem making them during the week, 48 hours isn't hard to leave really.

In case anyone cares, the rubber I'm using is this stuff http://www.tomps.com/value-budget-rtv-silicone-kit-5kg-to-26-5kg-hard-shore-30-p-1079.html this is easy enough to use - but you do need a set of electronic scales that can work out 0.1g increments as the mix ration is 3% by weight.

I was using this stuff http://www.tomps.com/polyester-casting-resin-to-25kg-kits-p-545.html to cast with, it works, but by gork it stinks. Have now moved to this stuff http://www.tomps.com/fast-cast-axson-f16-polyurethane-resin-p-1146.html which doesn't stink and flows a hell of a lot better. Marginally more expensive but frankly it hardly matters.

Have a need to do a new mould for the poorly tyranid to cast a new leg, sourced a spare base for him as well so a bit of paint stripper is coming up to get the three of them up to speed.

Enjoying painting these guys, wish I'd gone with nids years back, fun and pretty easy to paint.

New arrivals as well, now have a crone, named Cheryl (obvious, if crap pun, but thats a plus for me) and some raveners, who are apparently crap without needing a pun so will fit right in with my lot generally. :roll:
leopard

Postby leopard » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:09 pm

More piccies!

First up we have an un-named broodlord for the genestealers, probably the hunting pack formation or for general yuks.

Needs varnish but otherwise finished.

Next is a par of Venomthropes, also un-named as yet.

Love the Tamiya clear green for the poison bits

Then the first of many spore mines, so far all original GW models but will be making a mould from some of them.

Next we have the results of a bit of playing...

Second attempt at casting the Twin Linked Devourers for the tyrant, a few FoW models as a cameo, also for scale. Came out ok, few air bubbles and other such bits but usable once cleaned up.

Once cleaned and given to Brian to try for size

And then once Brian is painted up, the turnips have a leader at last, needs varnish and the base finishing but very pleased with how he turned out.

And finally, WiP of Cheryl.

Her wings need the highlights adding with the airbrush, the normal method will look pants on such a large area.
leopard

Postby leopard » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:34 pm

Few more of the turnips, painted yesterday but photographed this morning.

First up, a few more spore mines, because, well just because.

Then a triplet of raveners

And finally, Cheryl in all her glory

leopard

Postby Baldie » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:20 pm

Flying beasts, pure filth.
Bring em up next time you are up and Geoff the unshowered will be waiting.
Baldie

Postby Keiron » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:34 pm

They look really nice, might have to pinch your colour scheme when i eventually get round to painting Space Hulk
currently playing Kings of War, Zombicide Black Plague, Rum and Bones, Batman, Marvel
Keiron

Postby leopard » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:19 pm

Keiron wrote:They look really nice, might have to pinch your colour scheme when i eventually get round to painting Space Hulk

Its a very simple scheme.

Primed a light sand colour, the green is 'Bronze Green', the brown is 'Beastie Brown' then a sepia wash and a bit of a highlight, the sand colour is highlighted the primer, and optionally off white, the brown the base colour then leather brown and the green gets the base colour then the base with a bit of green grey added. Black for the eyes and clear green for the wet looking bits.

I specifically wanted a scheme that didn't take an age to paint.

They are fun models to paint, have loads more of them to do, including some 50+ old style space hulk genestealers
leopard

Postby leopard » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:46 pm

Forgot to take pics, but the upcoming APOC game has spurred a bit of progress here, now have a unit of three biovores, wondering on getting an exocrine for the livery artillery formation but probably won't.

Also 20x termagants that just need bases dry brushing to finish.

eBay has provided some metal raveners, you can guess whats going to happen to them, ditto a lictor, and more spore mines.
leopard

Postby Baldie » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:11 pm

See it is intelligence like this that makes me question myself.

Upcoming Apoc game so I am busy re basing 28mm Naps and painting up some RCW/WWI/WWII cav.
Baldie

PreviousNext

Return to Army Blogs and Paint Galleries