Hive Fleet Turnip

A place for your armies to call home

Hive Fleet Turnip

Postby leopard » Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:33 pm

Made a start on some terribly cute and cuddly Tyranids from the Storm boxed set.

Pretty simple colours selected, bone and a nice rich blue/green colour

Have stuck with a brown as the third colour, its not finished in these pics and needs the base and highlight adding over the wash coat

Stuck with a simple scheme as I wanted something that wasn't going to take an age to paint, the bone colour is the primer, two coats of that and a primer in green followed by a basic brown completes the three base colours

Genestealers are mostly the lighter bone colour with just a bit of the green, only the broodlord is painted so far

Carnifex "Cuddles", still in two parts so I can finish the painting (body and legs not glued as yet).

Green needs a final highlight as well, bases are essentially the same as my IJA as a nice rotting vegetation finish.

Reasonably nice models to assemble, except Cuddles who has a huge amount of filler on the arm joints and the part of the carapace that doesn't fit even remotely right, turned out alright though.

No idea how good the load out is, its for the formation in the box though which has no options.

Just the Genestealers to finish and a box of gargoyles and thats it for now.
leopard

Re: Hive Fleet Turnip

Postby Old Longy » Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:17 pm

Nice job
Does it have Lasers or Templars?
Old Longy

Postby Baldie » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:17 pm

Looking good
Baldie

Postby leopard » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:35 pm

Bit more work, the greens and browns now finished, this is more or less 'it' for these guys, not planning on painting the toxin sacs etc at least not yet.

Just the genestealers to prime tomorrow, and some gargoyles who will be assembled today
leopard

Postby leopard » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:17 pm

Looong time no progress, however with the off chance of a game at the weekend I got the brushes out and blew the dust of the turnips.

Big Gribbly, finally fully assembled

Warriors, now with the toxic green added, Tamiya clear green, very nice, stinks

Boss beastie

Now on to the new stuff
Trouser thieves

flying pests

Objective markers, I have no idea what these are meant to be so thats what they are getting used for

Enough for a single formation from the box, plus some winged irritants, though that means unbound and all the associated cheese.. not many points here though to get cheesy with.

Actually fun models to paint, tempted to get a few more, will see how the game actually plays first though.
leopard

Postby Baldie » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:49 pm

Clearly no expert but I am guessing like WFB, RIP, at some points things do better than other things.
Ten elite guys can shoot ten plebs then get assaulted by thirty more.
Happy to trade another twenty for those ten figs.

Amazing how few bodies CSM get at low points.

Hope I don't hate it as I really think it's neat at moment.
Baldie

Postby leopard » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:12 pm

Managed their first game, 600pts v IG controlled by James...

Cuddles enjoyed it, not sure about the rest who went home in a bag, will have to actually read the rules and see what the various bits do.

Think a 2+ cover save is amazing, and a 4+ while standing in the open is pretty nice as well, cept when facing 'ignores cover' tanks, still we managed to munch on tank crews for a bit, pity couldn't munch the heavy bolter and laser rounds.

Poor Gargoyles... they still don't know what ht them.. ouch
leopard

Postby leopard » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:04 pm

Right then, following from actually having a game, and the terrible feeling of how wrong it is to have all the models painted I have now acquired some more turnips so that normal service can be resumed.

Still won't have a legal force as still don't have a HQ, will sort that out once the horde of smaller gribbles are painted.

Oh yes and Cuddles has a friend, thinking a crushing claws version, with a few bits for S10, with 2d6 armour pen v vehicles as a tank muncher.

First up though are some hormogaunts, very simple models to build and so very simple to stand upright after they fall over, which given they can fall over again in seconds is useful - can see more metal discs being bought for the bases of these little dudes to give them some stability, will be batch building these alongside other projects.
leopard

Postby Old Longy » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:08 pm

Looks like things are getting serious, better grab myself the new Eldar Codex :-)
Does it have Lasers or Templars?
Old Longy

Postby leopard » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:35 pm

Lol, hardly serious, in part thats the beauty of 40k, if you even try to take it seriously your brain explodes, only rulebook I've ever seen written on a Möbius strip with the appendix clearly written by one M.C. Escher.

Still on the bright side, not like anyone at Janco would team Eldar with Tau then bring a Knight to add is it... :cow:

Have to love this army, can spend a afternoon making 20 models, only to have 100points for the army.
leopard

Next

Return to Army Blogs and Paint Galleries