Leopard's FoW British

A place for your armies to call home

Re: Leopard's FoW British

Postby leopard » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:01 pm

Update time!

First four quad carriers produced in the kitchen, now with paint added.

Not yet weathered and the windows need highlights.

And with a few friends, including the first two 15cwt trucks and the last 4 quads for the battery to be mechanised nicely

Not pictured are the other trucks waiting priming nor the OP carriers for which I have a further mould to make to do the crews.

Not amazing casting quality, but given how little time and infrequently they will be on the table the phrase "Good enough for government work" applies.
leopard

Postby Baldie » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:45 pm

Better than good enough pal
Baldie

Postby leopard » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:04 pm

Bit of basing to finish but otherwise they are done, certainly enough to be usable

Three batteries, all with quads and a truck for the command team, two with observer trucks & OP Carriers as an option, plus the final truck for the staff team.

OP Carrier, came out pretty well, took three attempts at the detailing bits to get the mould to work right, but got there in the end.

Closeup of one of the battery transports.

Learnt a fair bit about resin casting making these guys, getting the mix ratio right is critical otherwise they end up a bit sticky, also if the resin is too cold it doesn't cure properly, but when it works it works well.
leopard

Postby leopard » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:13 pm

Couple more trucks painted up, up in Barnsley tomorrow hopefully Poncenby-Smyth will be running against Fallschirmjager in what I hope will be mostly an infantry game circa 1,550.. Event practice of a sort, Colin's mob can't deal with tanks, which don't have that many off bar a few baby ones, and I can't deal with aircraft, which Colin doesn't know how to use.

At our normal rate we will play for a few hours without a single casualty...
leopard

Postby leopard » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:28 pm

A game!

1k55 v Colins Fallshcirmjager in 'Free for all', which we actually rolled..

Victory!, 6:1 as none of the British were down, at the end I think Colin had only lost two platoons as well - one of troops and the recoiless guns when my Mk IVB captured an objective.

The artillery, all 600 odd points of it did sod all as usual, the HMG managed more through bombardment...

Of the new toys only one OP carrier actually hit the table, and survived, despite a Ju-87B picking on it, and thr 2pdr next to it (who were pinned on T1 and never unpinned).

Worked by being aggressive, capturing the bits of terrain Colin would have to advance through and forcing him onto the defensive. Mind you only managed it through a bit of luck, one hell of a gun nest around one objective, no idea how to break through that so just tried to scare it into not moving while we went the other way.

Col, great game, think you would have done better with three infantry platoons and fewer toys, them paras are evil in assault, hence why my central and right flank platoons pulled back when approached, no chance to survive that up close, just a few toys to drop smoke is about all you need really, the pak36 are gold otherwise and make excellent infantry guns
leopard

Postby Baldie » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:16 pm

I think EW is great, looking forward to some desert action.
May even get some DAK eventually.
Baldie

Postby leopard » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:46 pm

On my very long 'to do' list is some desert terrain, my DAK are a nice little force, need a few tweaks, but great fun, looks so horribly out of place in northern europe, or as it typically ends up a snow board - ended up fighting 8th army in what appeared to be finland.. looked most odd.
leopard

Postby Baldie » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:17 pm

Desert terrain I got in spades.
Baldie

Previous

Return to Army Blogs and Paint Galleries