Thousands Sons

A place for your armies to call home

Thousands Sons

Postby leopard » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:07 pm

The start of what will likely be a very slow burn project..

WiP of a MkIII armoured tech marine

Red is the usual Tamiya clear red, this time airbrushed over a silver base in place of the gold the Chaos versions use so its a bit colder, also a little silver edge highlight where stuff would be worn (using chrome applied by brush).

Gold is pure GW this time round, figured I'd give it a try given the VMC golds are nice but dry a bit too quickly for my liking.

Golds and Silvers are finished, except the mechanicus emblem that needs its final highlight, note the slightly bronzer tone, other coloured need more work - there are more silver rivets to add, the greys on the cables need highlighting, skin needs a wash and further highlight...

The red is likely to get a pin wash of a deep brown at some point to add a bit more definition, some of the pics may show the pre-shading of the base silver which included some brushed edge highlights in a few places which have come through reasonably well.

Needs some sort of 'power' effect for the axe, and likely some black/yellow hazard markings on the claw, suitably toned down.

Fun little model though, and will be doing duel duty as a warpsmith in the CSM force
leopard

Re: Thousands Sons

Postby Baldie » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:06 pm

Looking good so far
Baldie

Postby GuEsTy » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:56 pm

Oh man I would never have the patience to paint something like that. Looks great!
GuEsTy

Postby leopard » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:03 pm

GuEsTy wrote:Oh man I would never have the patience to paint something like that. Looks great!

He took about a day, from washing the resin to looking like that, its a lot faster than you may think as the red is pre-shaded with an airbrush and a few edge highlights then clear red airbrushed over, faster than I was expecting by a long way.

Called him Fred.

Hes is currently wondering where the other 999 are
leopard

Postby leopard » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:39 pm

WiP on the next two

Officer, as yet unnamed, starting to like the GW golds, the red is slightly deeper than on Fred, a few other minor changes to how the colours go on as well, Fred's a bit of an individualistic so and so is my reasoning here..

Legion standard, not sure what the effect is in game but he's a nice model. the banner itself is a bit of a placeholder, not sure it will stay metallic but it will do for now.

Plenty to do on both still, liking these resin marines
leopard

Postby leopard » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:48 pm

Bit more on officer dude...

Trying to work out what colour to do the scroll work on the legs, the usual 'parchment' type light brown/sepia I'm not sure about and the cold white already used would be wrong - plus thinking yet more gold will just overpower them.

Bronze?
leopard

Postby leopard » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:19 pm

1st Tactical Squad

10x MkIII Tactical Marines

So far only the Sergeant/Aspiring Sorcerer has the final highlighting on the red

Close up on the Sergeant

No markings yet applied as I've not fully decided how I want to do that, Likely to be a fellowship marking assigned which goes under the decals so waiting for a while as yet.

Obviously there bases not completed either
leopard

Postby Baldie » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:29 pm

Starting to build up an impressive force, my lads don't typically go in for your shiny armour but your chaps look good.
Baldie

Postby leopard » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:27 pm

Baldie wrote:Starting to build up an impressive force, my lads don't typically go in for your shiny armour but your chaps look good.

Cheers, enjoying painting them, have added a Mk1 Rhino and Mk1 Predator, eBay salvage so not amazing quality but have painted up ok, will take some pics when I get the chance.

Was these guys or Emperors Children as I like the clean look, but the clear red was easier to get than the clear purple and thus a choice was made...

The new plastics are nice, just assembled a pair of Tartaros Terminators, they are light years ahead of the chaos ones, despite being 10,000 years older. The shoulder pads actually fit for one thing, and the arms have little mounting lugs to locate them.
leopard

Postby leopard » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:18 pm

Fleabay salvage...

Predator Mk1

Turret turns but isn't actually attached to the tank in any way, the sponson weapons are fixed in place, none of the pivots survived on the original model, nor did the hand rails.

sunlight catches the red nicely, black needs highlighting though

Rhino Mk1

Kitted for a tactical squad, again no hand rails and lacking many of the detailing parts but given it was about a fiver for the pair of them I'm not complaining.

Commander and Standard Bearer, now with scrollwork painted, until I work out a fellowship logo pattern these guys are essentially done.

Plastic Tataros Terminators and the Plastic Ahriman now assembled, will prime and make a start on the paint tomorrow. Gone with a pretty basic squad for the terminators, unit leader with a power sword & volkalite charger, the rest with power first, two with chainfists, a heavy flamer and combo bolters and thats about it bar a grenade harness on the heavy weapons dude.

Really nice kit, apart from thunder hammers and storm shields you get more or less everything they can carry in the kit
leopard

Next

Return to Army Blogs and Paint Galleries