Thousands Sons

A place for your armies to call home

Re: Thousands Sons

Postby leopard » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:20 pm

Old Longy wrote:That looks like a nasty list...

Interesting, its the result of trying to bash a 30k list over the head until it fits, slightly modified of course.

Ideally the rubrics would be 20 strong but at 20 points each there just isn't the points free to do it.

Ended up with Chosen for the special weapons simply as they are the only unit that can take the required weapons to proxy for a support weapon unit (in 30k they are normal troops, but don't count towards the minimum number of troops), in points terms its about 3 points a model more for chosen though and the extra attack may be useful.

Plasma and melta as special weapons options is down to that being what the MkIII kit gives you, ditto heavy bolters on the heavy support troops, proxied here as Havocs.

Hoping 30k gets ported soon.. support and heavy support can be ten man strong all with support weapons..

needs a few more models to do it, but a second Prospero box is enough to complete that lot, its a bit warped around the models that provides but should be fun
leopard

Postby Old Longy » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:57 pm

Only thing I would say is those Chosen are gonna get shot to bits before they get to the enemy... Rhinos?
Does it have Lasers or Templars?
Old Longy

Postby leopard » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:18 pm

Old Longy wrote:Only thing I would say is those Chosen are gonna get shot to bits before they get to the enemy... Rhinos?

list lacks the points, but yes thats the eventual idea (there is stuff that can be dropped and generally moved around)

the thinking until then (such as it is) is that with the rubrics advancing, with Warp Time support for the double move on both units that the enemy may not have the luxury of targeting the chosen as they need to thin the larger units with the inferno bolt guns down.

Will it work? dunno, depends if the enemy is asleep or not (and even then probably won't work twice, otherwise they need to advance largely out of sight. They are not overly the lists heavy hitters, the 30k concept is they support the larger tactical units and help with the heavier stuff, going with rubric marines means this is less important, but figure the plasma one especially can ruin someones day if they get into place

The FW 30k Rhinos do look very nice though, and a triplet of them also gives the heavy bolter guys a bit of mobile cover to hide behind so is certainly well worth considering
leopard

Postby Old Longy » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:09 am

Good point re: the movement spell...
Old Longy

Postby leopard » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:07 pm

Thinking.. my draft list for these guys uses cultists as a cheap 3rd troop choice, useful for sitting on a backfield objective and at least making an opponent try to shift them.

I have cultists for my CSM, but they really look out of place with the neat Mk III marines...

The fluff includes the Prospero Regiments and PDF, the Spireguard, my first thoughts were to use a squad of IG painted suitable colours but the background notes greatcoat models - well since the Iron Guard are hard to get hold of..

How about this for a concept?

French Napoleonic models, smaller and less bulky than the marines which seems to fit in, they have the great coats (thinking the "old guard" as I should have a few left), the muskets will do as 'auto guns', so no pistol & CCW option here). Ok special weapons will need a bit of work, thinking Bolt Action plastic weapons for the heavy stubber (using a LMG of some sort).

Colours are apparently Crimson for the coats, trimmed with brass metal work and gold edging, with white under and black belts, packs and so on and a gun metal shako (more polished for officers, possibly something like a dragoon helmet).

Will have a look later, initially only need ten with an identifiable leader (sabre of some sort will do and rank markings on the shoulders).

Reasonably easily (and cheaply at £25 for 60) to convert to a full IG platoon as Heretics?
leopard

Postby Old Longy » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:30 pm

Interesting idea....
Old Longy

Previous

Return to Army Blogs and Paint Galleries