Test of Honour

A place for your armies to call home

Test of Honour

Postby leopard » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:13 pm

First tender steps with Test of Honour

First step was to assembled the various models, then prime black using an airbrush because its easier than a brush.

Pair of Archers

Group of Spearmen

Bunch(?) of Samurai

The samurai models are terrible to assemble but look ok once done, the commoners are a lot nicer to assemble - bot could seriously do with something on the frames to indicate the pairs of arms and legs..

Anyway, primed, so on with the armour, the guide suggests dry brushing grey so thats what I did.

First step is a dry brush of Black Grey, a wonderful colour for highlighting black without it being too obvious.

Second stage with Dark Grey, the two step process provides a more subtle effect than just the Dark Grey alone does and is worth the effort. The Dark Grey is only applied to the upper surfaces and this is the armoured bits essentially done.

Three samurai are now put to one side, just two continue into the red stage (the others will be different colours)

Black Red as a base for the red areas, again a useful colour thats dark enough to make a good base, especially over black.

This is highlighted with a custom 50-50 mix of Black Red and Scarlet applied as a heavy dry brush except on the very deep areas.

Further highlight of pure scarlet, you could leave it here for a dark red, indeed this scheme was borrowed from some high elves, which in turn borrowed it from some British Airborne…

I wanted a brighter red though, so a further layer of Flat Red, which looks a bit unusual in the camera light

Finally a layer of Vermillion provided the finish to a nice bright red thats reasonably gentle in its effect, a good few layers but really doesn’t take all that long and I like the effect.

Next the flesh tones go on, again a method borrowed from elsewhere, perhaps for a larger army a base & wash method is better but this is a small force so reverted to layer/drybrush methods

We start with a layer of Tan, well actually two layers of it over the black

Drybrush two layers of Dwarf Flesh and it starts to look like skin

Drybrush Elf Flesh and you could leave it here, however I wanted a bit more depth so…

A diluted Skin Wash Ink is applied to recessed areas, models now look slightly sunburnt but the recesses are a nice defined colour which works well with the previous layers.

Final highlight with Elf Flesh and the skin is completed, Flat Flesh would probably work as well here.

Final group picture showing the reds, blacks and skin tones completed. Obviously a fair bit more detail to go on still but they look pretty good I think, less time to paint this far than to actually assemble them.
leopard

Re: Test of Honour

Postby Jimmy » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:04 pm

I'm assuming these are just the same as the wargames factory samurai - I have a full army of them, They were a bit of a pain to assemble, but they look great.
Jimmy

Postby leopard » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:33 pm

Yeah has wargames factory on the frames, not bad models though, just really wish where stuff is paired there was something on the frames
leopard

Postby Baldie » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:54 pm

Amazing how fast you get em done.
I still ain't got my tanks out the box yet.
Baldie

Postby leopard » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:04 pm

More progress!

Started painting the metals, silver & gold are GW colours as I have them to hand, both are done in a pretty normal way, base, wash, layer and layer highlight resulting in…

Wood colours next, went with plain unpainted wood for the weapons, colour triple as shown, English Uniform, Khaki Grey then finally Old Wood, provides a nice colour thats a light contrast to the armour and the red cloth. Note again the GW metals.

White details, just belts, as I couldn’t get the shoes to look decent so painted over them back into the black.

Note the black on the weapons has now been highlighted, same basic process and colours as the armour, just to tidy up around the flesh areas.

Group pic, models finished and awaiting basing. Ok they could do with a symbol on the banners, still thinking about that though so plain red will do for now. Little starter war band ready for the table (nearly).

And again with bases painted, and slightly better lighting (the sun came out finally), with the bases painted (Olive Drab then various browns, greens and yellows) they no longer look as dark, will get some static grass tufts eventually.

Samurai closeup

Ahagashi archers closeup, arrow flights the same colour as the belts

Ahagashi spearmen closeup, the wood seems darker without the black contrast of the base.

Essentially usable, just waiting the delivery of some more of the 25mm steel bases used here to do a few more of them and provide a few more options.
leopard

Postby leopard » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:10 pm

Baldie wrote:Amazing how fast you get em done.
I still ain't got my tanks out the box yet.

Slightly cheating as on holiday this week (had five days to take before the end of March..) working on these and stuff for the Apoc and upcoming Campaign 2017 events.

Also got Donna's Desert Rats to build so she can get them painted... Or sit them next to the stuff bought before we moved down here, which will likely still be in boxes when we move back up :)
leopard

Postby leopard » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:59 pm

WiP of the blue faction

Similar force to the red faction, their hated enemies, except an ahagashi sergeant and an extra samurai.
leopard

Postby leopard » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:29 pm

More WiP on the blue faction...

leopard

Return to Army Blogs and Paint Galleries