D-Day landing 7th and 8th June Event

Heard of an upcoming tournament or event that may be of interest to members of the club? Looking for a potential team?

Re: D-Day landing 7th and 8th June Event

Postby leopard » Wed May 14, 2014 11:24 am

The Axis of Attack stuff from the old V2 book (and apparently the new Italy Battles book) is worth a look for a campaign, otherwise they are not that hard to create, say "x" areas to fight in (forget an actual map, just have a number of areas), you get perhaps x * 1,500 points to build your army, split between the sites as you see fit (so you can have a single platoon in one, though it will auto fail and company morale checks, but will probably be dead before that occurs). end of the game anything that dead gets to make a basic save (3+ for infantry, 5+ for the rest) to be salvageable, only the winner able to salvage vehicles, maybe captured enemy stuff is usable on a 6 then a 4+ if it was dead or a 6 if it wasn't (e.g. crew failed morale from artillery).

Between rounds you get a total of say 1,000 for new stuff, grind each other down.

Thats a generic campaign, a more historical one could be better - dare say Dave C. would be the ideal person to talk to about structuring such a thing as he has the background in both history and gaming to be able to devise something
leopard

Postby leopard » Thu May 15, 2014 6:40 pm

Thoughts:

Saturday: D-Day -1 air landing, objective, knock out the guns, capture the bridges - Allied victory means German reserves on day #2 are delayed

Sunday: D-Day landings

Or

Saturday: D-Day landing

Sunday: Pushing in land from the beaches
leopard

Postby Dropshort » Thu May 15, 2014 8:21 pm

Both good ideas Mr Leopard, I cant see the D Day -1 working though as it would have to many people standing around wait for sunrise so they can land there forces, but that's just me.

Had a chat with the boss and a few people planing on taking part to run through what I have in mind, and will be down on Tuesday (20/05/14) to test a few things out and hopefully tell you all what we will be doing by the end of next week so every one has time to sort out what there doing

Only thing I think I can say for sure is that everyone will have 1500 points, not bothering with the 25% more for the attackers as as it stand now there are 7 maybe 8 allies to 5 axis.

chances are we are going to let this one run over two days so there is no need to rush.

That's all for now folks
Dropshort

Postby leopard » Thu May 15, 2014 9:15 pm

1k5 with more attackers than defenders works for me.

I have a few new bunker models waiting painting so will have a force that actually has some defences this time.
leopard

Postby leopard » Fri May 16, 2014 9:09 am

Thought occurs, (ouch), if this is going to be a 2 day game then 1k5 forces may need to be slightly larger - though with a level pushed into reserve, otherwise a high risk that by day two there will be a lot of standing around.

Needs to be some in reserve to avoid the beach being too strong of course but with 1k5 there is a chance that there will be nothing behind the beach.

Just a thought, a lot depnds on how you are thinking of structuring this, but a 1k5 fortress company is one or two strongpoints depending which one you go for and thats about it.
leopard

Postby leopard » Fri May 16, 2014 9:23 am

Further thought (two in one day is a rare thing, so may have a coffe in recognition of this).

Is it worth roughly sketching out the tables (rough layout, line of the beach, were any built up areas or woods will be, hills - nothing overly accurate but a rough plan), static defences can then be designed onto this plan and put up ahead of the day - think of it as "recce photos" combined with a bit of Night Hawk calling...

If we have a rough map, can design defences to suit, and then the attackers can bring a suitable amount of kit - without wasting points on stuff thats not needed, and the defenders don't waste points on defences that cannot really be used.

?
leopard

Postby Dropshort » Sun May 18, 2014 10:20 pm

A rough map has all ready been made, no deference on it yet but deployment areas are marked out to give everyone an idea of where thing will be.

As for adding more point I can't see why not as long as we have the 2 days to play the game in and control the reserves for both sides, don't want 4000 points of paras cutting the German forces in half before you get any reserves on.
Dropshort

Postby leopard » Mon May 19, 2014 8:19 am

Saw the map Colin has over the weekend, thats exactly the sort of thing I was talking about, rough and ready but provides the key bit of info - in effect two beaches with a rocky outcrop between them.

Loving the inland bridges idea, avoids everyone trying to play a massive game in a strip 12" wide, and once through that game over.

Suggest the "air drop" was done overnight, i.e. start the parachute guys in place, dug in and heads down in control of the bridges - avoids mucking about with the air drop rules as the allies do it differently, also avoids the need for glider models as can just assume they were used. Let the Germans start with a few bits on thier rear deployment area but the rest coming on as normal. Initial bombardment is just the forward German areas (as an incentive to put armour in the rear).

Let the Germans come on in waves, no dice rolls, say 25% of the platoon on each turn (so all on by T4), but adjust a bit with whats there so the heavier stuff comes on last, keep it fast and furious, the Parachute guys will find it hard to work towards the beach but have that as an option.

All in all sounds like you guys have put a lot of thought into something simple to make it amazing :)
leopard

Postby Bob Typhoon » Mon May 19, 2014 4:25 pm

Well I'm certainly up to this i will be able to play the mighty brits and I`m also up to the try out day as ironing out the kinks is a good idea. :woo: :british:
Bob Typhoon

Postby Dropshort » Mon May 19, 2014 9:58 pm

Some times I have a good idea, not often, but I do get them
Dropshort

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements