D-Day landing 7th and 8th June Event

Heard of an upcoming tournament or event that may be of interest to members of the club? Looking for a potential team?

Re: D-Day landing 7th and 8th June Event

Postby Bob Typhoon » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:23 pm

leopard wrote:
Bob Typhoon wrote:Oh ok sounds good I looked at the list and they look really good never seen one used with a lot of pill boxes etc so it will be very interesting to see how it is used it'll looked good too.

may be not for me though :(

Huge issue for the list though, its written to cover a 4' beach frontage, and will now be covering two such beaches so in theory not that hard to ignore half of the static stuff and just go round it. Also IIRC the deployment rules force the stuff into actual defensive emplacements not a huge long line.

It does look pretty good though, just hope I've got me head round how to actually work it all, stuff like having the heavier bunkers more than 16" back from the line so you have to breach the line before you can shoot at them, not having troops close enough to avoid smoke bombardments, having infantry about an inch behind razor wire - so you have to cross it in the assault phase not the movement one and similar...

Oh did not realize that it was so complicated or different to play that sort of list thought still should be a really good game and I really look forward to it.
Bob Typhoon

Postby leopard » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:43 pm

Yeah, I've run defences under 2nd but not really under 3rd beyond the occasional bit of razor wire, this will be very different. Can see why events ban fortified lists but this is the sort of tactical game I find intriguing.

We're up to 70+ posts and haven't even fought the game yet..

If this works suggest not only does it become an annual fixture but we try a few more in a similar light with a bit of planning ahead of the game for other scenarios :)
leopard

Postby Bob Typhoon » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:05 pm

Yeah sounds really good got the rest of my stuff ready and painted or as much as they are getting. But like you said a few other larger games like this one would not go a miss especially one like Attack On Berlin as the 3 large armies of WW2 were involved :soviet: :british: :usa:
Anyway my AVRES will have something to shoot at in this game not just a building full of infantry.
Bob Typhoon

Postby leopard » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:03 pm

Bob Typhoon wrote:Yeah sounds really good got the rest of my stuff ready and painted or as much as they are getting. But like you said a few other larger games like this one would not go a miss especially one like Attack On Berlin as the 3 large armies of WW2 were involved :soviet: :british: :usa:
Anyway my AVRES will have something to shoot at in this game not just a building full of infantry.

That was the point in putting the defence lists up first, if nothing to shoot at leave the toys at home. Mind you... you have to get within 4"... mwahahahhhaaaahahaaaa all about trading space for time, a defensive list cannot win (especially with recycling infantry attacking) but by gork it can extract a pound of flesh making you waste time dealing with it.

Fully agree on something like the fall of Berlin as a large game, would probably need to use the V2 building rules though until they bring out a city fighting book now. Best bit is you're not even going to need a large board for it, a 6'x4' will be fine just need to be able to get all round. Will be like fighting in a 3d maze...
leopard

Postby Bob Typhoon » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:25 pm

yeah should be a good game and how do ze Germans win D-day I know the brits have to capture objectives and that's it.
Bob Typhoon

Postby leopard » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:10 am

Bob Typhoon wrote:yeah should be a good game and how do ze Germans win D-day I know the brits have to capture objectives and that's it.

Guessing if the objectives are not held by the end of the game its a German victory, they have held long enough for more significant reinforcements to arrive, perhaps the shorta**e with the silly tash has woken up and permitted reserves to deploy or something, or perhaps it has no overall effect but the allied commanders are removed from command having failed to meet assigned objectives?
leopard

Postby Rich G » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:29 am

In true American style, i'm turning up late to claim the glory.

If there is any room (if you've not organised teams etc.) can i join you?

i have about 4000 points of yanks for the alllied side.

let me know if there's room. i can put a list of stuff i have on later if you're wanting to work lists out etc.
Rich G

Postby Jimmy » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:39 pm

I don't think I can make this now :( so you can take my place ;)
Jimmy

Postby Bob Typhoon » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:46 pm

Oh ok it sounds good just did not know how the Germans actually won as I only know the British victory conditions as that's the side I'm on. Shame that you cannot play Jimmy :( but good to have another allied player to play in D-day. :)
Bob Typhoon

Postby ironbelly2 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:52 pm

Arnhem ....Bastogne ....Stalingrad ....all would be class.. :D ready for it now.... Hold until relived... :british:
ironbelly2

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements