D-Day landing 7th and 8th June Event

Heard of an upcoming tournament or event that may be of interest to members of the club? Looking for a potential team?

Re: D-Day landing 7th and 8th June Event

Postby leopard » Fri May 30, 2014 11:21 am

davec wrote:I've just had a newsletter from 4Ground and they are about to release a 15mm painted Pegasus Bridge and Café Gondre (which was next to it). Looks pretty impressive. They are also doing 20mm and 28mm versions.

Oh you may just have made my day, not sure what I would actually use such for but want, indeed very possible need. Having fun with a couple of 4ground bits but could oh so easily see going for the bridge and cafe.

Many thanks for the heads up :)

Just had a look and its on the 4ground website as well http://www.4ground.co.uk/, dare say Colin will be able to order this once its out, not exactly cheap but then not exactly small or cheap looking either. While laser cut MDF may not be 'perfect' for the structure it will be strong enough to actually use and hits the mark of 'good enough'.

Just need to make a canal to go with it.

Mr. C, question for you, any books you can recommend for the Pegasus bridge drops that have the background to mission, asking your good self as of all the people at Jancos you're the one most likely to know a good read on such a subject :)
leopard

Postby leopard » Sat May 31, 2014 9:04 pm

+++ Tactical Intelligence Report +++
++ Battlegroup Janco Landing Zone ++
++ Known German Defences ++

+ Area defended by 352. Infantry Division, Eastern Front Veterans +
+ Both beach areas defended by single Wiederstandnest fortified platoon, formation as follows +
- 1x Large Pillbox, unknown type, assumed anti tank
- 1x Anti Tank Nest, KwK 5cm gun type
- 2x Small Pillbox, assumed to be HMG type
- 6x Razor Wire sections
- 3x Trench Line sections
- Signs of small infantry detachment present

+ Further static defences identified within target area
- 4x additional razor wire sections
- Large number of areas showing signs of mine deployment

+ Additional forces deployed
- 4x Gun Artillery battery, un-identified type, 10.5cm or 15cm suspected, deployed in static gun pits
- Suspected several infantry platoons deployed in this area, numbers un-confirmed.

+++ Report Ends +++

Well thats your lot, make of it what you will, there are not that many inaccuracies... Fog of war and all that. Note that the sea wall cannot be blow up, but can be bridged by assault bridges on AVRE, also that the central rock is not a permitted landing zone, but can be assaulted from the beaches by mountaineering troops, normal access from the rear. Also note that the beach exits are not open country - see the Normandy Battles book for full details, suggest a read through of the bunker rules as well as there are a god awful number of them on the beaches.
leopard

Postby ironbelly2 » Sat May 31, 2014 10:02 pm

Built shiny new tetrarchs ...they will be painted for next week ..

Hold until relived ... Must suppress my inner Orc........ :evil:
ironbelly2

Postby ironbelly2 » Sat May 31, 2014 10:35 pm

Grandad on a plaque in a church in ardsley
Attachments
image.jpg
H philburn ..para served and landed in Normandy ..H Philburn baught it on a destroyer
image.jpg (107.59 KiB) Viewed 2719 times
ironbelly2

Postby leopard » Sat May 31, 2014 10:44 pm

Touching, genuinely so,

Its that connection to reality that makes games like this all the more interesting.

Doesn't matter how outlandish the background of sci-fi games gets, none of them are a patch on reality.

Thankfully none of my relatives I know of were killed during the war, dare say a few I don't know of may well have been though.
leopard

Postby ironbelly2 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:48 am

Cheers fella... Herbert Philburn dropped in on 6th with paras...posted that image after a beer ..can't post images of some ace terrain....balls :wall: http://sheffieldandrotherhamwargames.fr ... &mode=view
http://sheffieldandrotherhamwargames.fr ... &mode=view
http://sheffieldandrotherhamwargames.fr ... &mode=view
ironbelly2

Postby Bob Typhoon » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:38 pm

Well I'm up for this little escapade just finishing off my list as it now needs to be 2000pts then need to finish the final detail on my sextons etc can have all the toys now. how did the experiment game go if it was carried out as I was not there for it.
Bob Typhoon

Postby madness » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:48 pm

Don't forget Chris that it HAS to be a british infantry list and James told me to tell you that theres no point taking lots of tanks (as my entire list is pretty much tanks) air support has gone as Paul has it for his Paras, and sea support has gone as James has it.
madness

Postby leopard » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:08 pm

madness wrote:Don't forget Chris that it HAS to be a british infantry list and James told me to tell you that theres no point taking lots of tanks (as my entire list is pretty much tanks) air support has gone as Paul has it for his Paras, and sea support has gone as James has it.

Get hold of Total War and have a read on how companies merge and what support you can have, you get Gunfire Support only the once but there are ways to open up more air support, or select other bonuses depending what mix of companies you have.
leopard

Postby Bob Typhoon » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:15 pm

well my list incorporates all the infantry I have with most of Hobart's funnies got some tanks to make the points up as I had no infantry or funnies left to make the points up I can change the list on Saturday if needs be. I can have more infantry in the list but I don't have the models but it should still be a good list and btw it is infantry.
Bob Typhoon

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements